Pages

Reason#97 Extra Rice

Extra Rice
Steaming plate of plain rice. (I hope somebody would donate a better photo. Sadly, this is the best I got.)
Nice to know:

Because of our (referring almost exclusively to dudes) distinct eating habits, we don’t mind simple ulam as long as we have enough rice to meet our carbohydrate consumption quota.

“Extra rice” is a common combination of words found in many Pinoy restaurant menus, topped only by "unlimited rice".

What they say:

During my growing years, I ate three cups of rice accompanied by three toe-sized (big toe naman) pieces of chicken nuggets. A nugget per cup of rice: a logical ratio for a hungry teenager. “Parang driver kung kumain!”, my classmates exclaimed. They seemed to notice that their family drivers tend to eat buckets of rice every meal, including breakfast. Incidentally, I have witnessed a 150-pound acquaintance gobble up 7 cups of rice with hardly any ulam (~ viand), but aided by several glasses of iced tea.

Nakaka angat talaga ng popularity ng resto ang unlimited rice. - (Sorry, I forgot who said this)


1 comment:

  1. Hello Alvin! Dropping by your blog this chilly Thursday morning. And yes! I do think that extra rice or unlimited rice is something that we should all be proud of! Pero it reminds me of one problem that the Philippine has nowadays -- WE IMPORT RICE! We are a rice producer pero we can't supply our needs. Hopefully, the government does something to turn this thing around. With good education and newer technologies we could once again be a rice exporter.

    I am thinking of something to contribute to your blog! Very nice blog indeed.

    ReplyDelete